Jan 22, 2009

Climb the mountain

It's 5;45am and I'm preparing to start another day of work which normally doesn't thrill me. I think most people dislike the routine of a day job but we've all been conditioned to think that's just the way it is.
I'm lucky in many respects but there are times when this musical journey is not entirely a bunch of fun. To be honest there's an immense amount of tedious work in the background between each opportunity to play live.
Rehearsals, recording sessions, graphics to design, packages to be made up and mailed out (hundreds of them) then emails and phone calls to follow up. Then the same tired conversation when trying to break into a new area.

"Who? oh, yea I got the press kit. No, I haven't looked at it yet, call me in a week."

And what the heck is it about being from the same state as a festival that makes a promoter suddenly think you're of less value than some guy from 500 miles away?
I've been told by a few people who book events "Oh you're from Michigan, well locals play for free to do my festival" what?!
Our act can keep up with any national out there, which I think our videos show quite well but because I live within driving distance I'm suddenly supposed to grovel for a slot.
Of course to be fair I have to make clear that all the festivals we have done in MI have been extremely good to us but if you ever wonder why you haven't seen us on the bill for some of the others it's a good bet that the "locals are cheap" mentality plays a part.

It's a perception problem I guess.

Our radio promotion starts in Feb. right after the Cabin Fever Musicfest We will be shipping product to 278 stations in the US, Europe and Australia. Then spend the next 8 weeks emailing and calling the Music Directors to see if they've added the disc to rotation or a specialty show. If our efforts go well and they like the disc then those stations will report the plays to various radio charts like Roots Music Report, Living Blues, CMJ etc.

If we chart well then I can take those charts and put them under the nose of the promoters and say "We ain't local, we're WORLDWIDE!" LOL! ...at least that's my hope and hope is what I have as I face this huge mountain of opposition and indifference.

I have hope and faith that my efforts will come to fruition and tomorrow will be just a little better than today and the next month will be a little better than the one before and so on. I plan on working hard and I hope it will be a positive year.

The inauguration was a source of inspiration.

I wish the new President all the luck and goodwill in the world. He's got an even greater mountain of trouble and indifference to combat but I honestly feel that he's up to it and I think the majority of the people in the US are ready to pitch in and help out.
It will be a tough job and will probably be much harder than we think but as long as there's hope for a better tomorrow I think we can all persevere.

That's what I do with my music. I persevere, because as long as I see people in that audience smile and take pleasure from what we do I know I have something that needs to be heard.

I always loved this Jim Croce lyric.
"I got a song, I got a song, an I carry it with me and I sing it loud. If it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud."

yea...

Everyday I climb a little farther up the mountain.