Sep 24, 2009

Been a strange couple weeks since we got home. The jet lag was murder but I'm finally sleeping through the night. For nearly a week Laurie and I would be out of gas at 4pm but when we went to bed at 11pm at night we kept waking up at 3am and were wide awake.

The summer tour season has wound down. We have shows for winter but now is the time to start creating new material and start working on next seasons tour.

I've already been writing and recording demos of my ideas to give to the band. Laurie & I have started some brainstorming sessions about music ideals and marketing for next year as well as lyrics for the new songs. We'll spend many hours working on the preparations for the recording sessions. Rehearsals with the guys and I'll have to write charts for any added studio players (I'm thinking of a horn section for a couple of songs.) It's really a monumental task just to put one CD together but this year we have two separate projects to deal with. A new RWB project and a special CD that's still in the hush hush mode. It should be a great musical expression with a twist.
I'll fill everyone in as it develops.

Our body of work has been growing slowly for almost 3 years and the most interesting thing about that is that we sell music all over the world through our site, and others and we generate sales from Downloads in greater and greater numbers every month. The newest surprise came in the mail today. Sadson Music received a check from BMI, our performing rights society for airplay of our music on radio, internet and subscription services including several airlines. It was really fun to see a list of all the outlets that logged our music in the first 3 months of 2009. I always try to be the artist first but part of you MUST be the bean counter if you don't want to deal with a record company and the way the industry is now NOBODY with talent should run around fixating on getting "signed".

All I can say is doing things indie has been a long, hard, difficult road but I feel that it's the most satisfying way to go to keep your artistic vision intact. Sure, other people may have more bling but they always seem to disappear after awhile. I plan on being here giving my music out to the world for as long as I possibly can. Give a listen, it just might make you feel.
www.rustywrightband.com
Rusty